The A+ Custodian
- reading group guide
- customer reviews
John Carillo, Dublin Elementary School's custodian, has a big job. He mops and sweeps, polishes and scrubs, changes lightbulbs, washes windows, fixes pipes, moves furniture, and more! The teachers, students, parents, and principal all count on Mr. Carillo, and he never lets them down.
Now his early-bird helpers, Gracie and Zach, want to do something to show Mr. Carillo how important he is to them.
But showing him how much they appreciate everything he does will take lots of planning, some hard work, and the help of everyone in the whole school!
In her classic style Louise Borden brings to vivid focus one elementary school, the students and faculty who bring it to life, and the clever way they show Mr. Carillo he's their A+ custodian!
To download a file to your computer right-click on the link and choose 'save file as'
High Resolution Images
Book Cover Image (jpg): The A+ Custodian
Hardcover 9780689849954(0.6 MB)
Author Photo (jpg): Louise Borden
Photograph by Robert Flischel(0.1 MB)
Any use of an author photo must include its respective photo credit
Reading Group Guide
THE A+ CUSTODIAN
By Louise Borden
ABOUT THE BOOK
Through their early morning contact with the school custodian, Zack and Gracie learn of his commitment to his job and their school. Together they devise a plan to recognize his hard work.
Work ethic; Craftsmanship; Careers; Recognition of work; Awards
- What job skills does a custodian need?
- What are the responsibilities of a custodian?
- What does the word custodian mean?
- Why did Gracie and Zack follow Mr. Carillo around the school?
- Why did Dublin School decide to honor Mr. Carillo?
- Ask a custodian or custodial supervisor to talk with students about job requirements for a custodian. Discuss workload, hours, safety issues, areas of expertise, level of education, and additional training required.
- Initiate a discussion with students about respect for work done in various other departments of the school (food service, transportation, office staff, health services, as well as custodial).
- Utilize another title from the list below and compare/contrast the point of view of the main character(s) to Zack and Gracie in The A+ Custodian. Repeat the compare/contrast activity for the value placed on the work done by custodial staff.
Custodians by Debbie Yanuck
Custodian from the see more