Deed to Death
But just days before their planned nuptials, Scott plummets to his death at one of his construction sites and Toni is forced to bury her fiancé on their wedding day. Now living all alone in their new, custom-made dream house, dealing with her loss becomes even harder when the police rule his death a suicide. Yet Toni refuses to believe that it could be anything other than a tragic accident.
When she learns that Scott’s estranged brother, Brian, is contesting the will, threatening to take away her home, Toni starts to suspect that it may not have been a mere accident but something more sinister. Without the cooperation of the police, and in spite of her friends’ growing concern that she’s in denial and not dealing with her grief, Toni begins investigating on her own. As she crisscrosses Nashville on a mission to prove to herself and the world that Scott wouldn’t try to escape this life, Toni can’t shake the sinking feeling that something is off, that she’s being followed—and that her search for truth may have deadly consequences.
A riveting novel of suspense, Deed to Death marks the launch of an exciting new talent.
Deed to Death
Videos related to this book
Read an Excerpt
Alvin Harney stretched his left arm out of the window and tapped the beat to an old Rolling Stones tune on the truck door. He bobbed his head as he sang the song off-key. There was no working radio in the truck, just a melody in his head and the crisp morning breeze in his face.
Except during a thunderstorm or hard downpour, he always drove with his window open. Even in winter when frost coated the Tennessee hills and most people cranked their heat up as high as it would go, Alvin kept the driver’s-side window of his white Ford pickup rolled down. The cold never seemed to bother his fifty-year-old... see more
Toni Matthews dialed the number for the fifth time.
“This is Scott Chadwick; you’ve reached my voice mail.”
Why didn’t he answer his cell phone? He wasn’t answering his private line at the office either. She glanced at the clock on the bedside table: 7:23. Did he have an early meeting this morning? She couldn’t remember.
“Hi, it’s me. I was wondering if you could meet me somewhere. I left my briefcase in your car last night, and the file for my nine o’clock closing is in there. Call me when you get this. I love you.”
She... see more
To download a file to your computer right-click on the link and choose 'save file as'
High Resolution Images
Book Cover Image (jpg): Deed to Death
Trade Paperback 9781451649604(0.1 MB)
Author Photo (jpg): D.B. Henson
Photo by Loveless Fine Photography(2.4 MB)
Any use of an author photo must include its respective photo credit
Reading Group Guide
1. There are a series of plot twists and shocking discoveries throughout Deed to Death. Which of these developments surprised you the most?
2. After Scott’s funeral, everyone moves quickly to secure his financial assets. Brian, his estranged brother, wants his estate, while Clint wants his business. Did these actions arouse your suspicions? Who did you suspect might have an ulterior motive, and why? Were your suspicions correct?
3. Scott designed their custom-made dream house. What does the house symbolize throughout the novel? What does it mean to Toni?
4. Almost all of the characters in Deed to Death have secrets. How do these secrets influence each character and their actions? Are any of the characters able to overcome their past demons?
5. Why don’t the police believe Scott’s death could be a homicide? Did you ever believe Toni was in denial, or did you think she was on the right track all along? In real life, do you think it’s important to question the police&r see more