The Bottom Dollar Girls in Love
Leading the way is Attalee, soda jerk at the Bottom Dollar Emporium, who's so hot and heavy with her beau, Dooley, that the pair seems headed for the altar via Thrill Hill. Elizabeth is pining for her newlywed days when she felt more like a wife than a mother, while widowed Mavis has been up nights nursing a case of loneliness. Not so for newspaperwoman Birdie. "I'm glad my dating days are done," she claims, and Gracie Tobias agrees that she, too, is "done with romance." They couldn't be more wrong.
When high school heartthrob Brewster Clark returns to Cayboo Creek, suddenly Mavis and Birdie are competing for the attention of a certain pair of emerald eyes. Then there's Rusty, a philosophical duct doctor who's a most unlikely gentleman to turn proper Gracie's head, until she finds that his charms work on her like the Fountain of Youth. "A match made in heaven," Attalee pronounces the couple, but has she spoken too soon?
When it comes to love stories, "happily ever after" might always be the best ending, but one that can never be taken for granted. Traveling love's rocky road keeps the Bottom Dollar Girls asking, "How can you still believe in romance?" In Dollar Daze, these best of friends through laughter and tears discover that endings sting, but the pain makes new beginnings that much sweeter.
To download a file to your computer right-click on the link and choose 'save file as'
High Resolution Images
Book Cover Image (jpg): Dollar Daze
eBook 9780743293631(0.3 MB)
Author Photo (jpg): Karin Gillespie
Photo Credit:(0.1 MB)
Any use of an author photo must include its respective photo credit
Reading Group Guide
By Karin Gillespie
1. Attalee Gaines is the queen of sassy one-liners! For example, she points at Mavis's Aqua Bra-enhanced cleavage and declares, "Victoria spilled her secrets" (89). What do Attalee's jokes add to the novel? Attalee also experiences the greatest loss of all the Bottom Dollar Girls. Do you think her personality has changed by the end of the novel? Why or why not?
2. The first page of each chapter features a funny quote from Cayboo Creek signs, jukebox selections, and bumper stickers, such as "When I married Mr. Right I didn't know his first name was Always" (67). Which did you find the funniest? Which quote reveals the most about what will happen within its chapter?
3. In Chapter 7 Attalee and Mrs. Tobias shop for a present for Mavis at the Last Chance Flea Market. Which booth at the flea market has the funniest name and the strangest wares? What do Atalee and Mrs. Tobias eventually select as Mavis's "Bizzie" gift?
4. Mavis thinks to herself glumly, "No, Mavis didn't have nearly as much [as Birdie] to offer Brew: just warmed-over chicken divan and artificially enhanced cleavage" (88). Do you think this statement is true? If not, what does Mavis have to offer to a potential boyfriend? (For a start, you can check out Mavis's "best points" on page 3.)
5. Elizabeth and Timothy visit several child care facilities in Chapter 12: Lads and Lasses, Kinder Cor see more