Added to Cart
Read an Excerpt
I looked at the pool of dried blood that covered the third-floor landing of a brownstone on one of the safest residential blocks in Manhattan and wondered how the young woman who'd been left here to die yesterday, her chest pierced by a steak knife, could still be alive this afternoon.
Mercer Wallace crouched beside the stained flooring, pointing out for me the smaller areas of discoloration. "These smudges, I figure, are partial imprints of the perp's shoe. He must have lost his footing over there."
The blood streaked away from the door of the victim's apartment, as though her attacker had slid in the...
Get our latest book recommendations, author news and sweepstakes right to your inbox
To download a file to your computer right-click on the link and choose 'save file as'
High Resolution Images
- Book Cover Image (jpg): Entombed
Mass Market Paperback 9780743482271(1.6 MB)
- Author Photo (jpg): Linda Fairstein
Photo Credit:(0.1 MB)
Any use of an author photo must include its respective photo credit
Reading Group Guide
Questions and Topics for Discussion
1. Premature burial is a recurring theme in ENTOMBED. Alexandra Cooper discovers a body bricked behind a wall and is herself nearly entombed twice. And the murder victim Emily Upshaw, years before her death, worried especially about that particular fate. What makes the prospect of being buried alive so uniquely terrifying? What kind of mood does it lend to the story?
2. Early in the story, Alex, though a prosecutor, explains that she always makes it a point to visit the crime scene herself. What does this insistence on seeing things firsthand say about her approach to her job? What does it also tell us about her personality?
3. Alex convinces the District Attorney to let her prosecute the Silk Stocking Rapist in a new and potentially controversial way. Later, we see how advances in DNA collection are constantly changing how she and her colleagues do their jobs. What other new techniques and advances did you find peppered throughout? What effect do these ripped-from-the-headlines details have on the novel?
4. How has Alex’s breakup with her longtime boyfriend, Jake Tyler, affected her? If you’ve read the previous novels in the series, were you surprised or disappointed to learn that they had split?
5. Edgar Allan Poe’s story “The Cask of Amontillado” obviously figures very heavily into this novel. What other Poe sto see more