A Family Daughter
The events set in motion that summer span decades and continents -- irrevocably changing the lives of the Santerres and those around them.
To download a file to your computer right-click on the link and choose 'save file as'
High Resolution Images
Book Cover Image (jpg): A Family Daughter
Trade Paperback 9780743277679(0.1 MB)
Author Photo (jpg): Maile Meloy
Photo Credit:(0.1 MB)
Any use of an author photo must include its respective photo credit
Reading Group Guide
Questions and Topics For Discussion
- A Family Daughter is the story of four generations of Santerres. Discuss the evolving parent-child relationships within each generation.
- Discuss the themes of resurrection and resilience in the novel. Consider incidents such as Abby and Jamie’s relationship, Saffron’s baby, Margot’s affair, and the family reunion at the end of the novel. What drives each character to overcome tragedy and adversity?
- Why do you think the focus of the book, with the exception of Jamie, is on the women of the Santerre family? What is Yvette’s role as family matriarch?
- When thinking of the photographer, Yvette realizes that although they never had an affair, she and Teddy “had used him to make each other unhappy, and they were still using him.” Do other characters use similar devices to hold grudges against each other?
- Discuss the theme of sex and physical attraction in the novel. How does it influence each character in life-altering ways? Which characters use sex for comfort, and which use sex for power?
- Following her father’s death, Abby doesn’t want contact with any of her family members except Jamie. Is this because he’s closer to her age, or does she not feel comfortable with the rest of her family? Are they the only two members of the family who truly know and understand each other?
- What do yo