This reading group guide for Imperfect Bliss includes discussion questions and ideas for enhancing your book club. The suggested questions are intended to help your reading group find new and interesting angles and topics for your discussion. We hope that these ideas will enrich your conversation and increase your enjoyment of the book.
Questions and Topics for Discussion
1. Take a closer look at the epigraphs for Imperfect Bliss
. How does each relate to the novel? Do you think they are representing the point of view of a specific character?
2. On the surface, Harold and Forsythia are an unlikely couple. What do you think draws them together? Are there other unlikely couples in Imperfect Bliss
that seem to work?
3. Do you think Imperfect Bliss
takes a cynical or an optimistic take on love? What about marriage? Use examples from the novel during your discussion.
4. Bliss feels that history holds the keys to the present and the future. To what extent is this belief illustrated in the book? Do you agree with Bliss?
5. Discuss the ways that the novel addresses race. Would you say it is central to the plot? What about to the identities of the Harcourt daughters?
6. How do Bliss’s opinions of her mother and father evolve as the novel progresses?
7. On p. 246, Victoria compares being gay to being black. Do you agree with this comparison? Why doesn’t this seem