Jamie can't stand being pregnant. She can't wait to get on with her normal life and give the baby up for adoption. But her yet-to-be-born daughter, Stella, has a fierce will and a destiny to fulfill. And as the magical plot of Little Beauties unfolds, these three characters' lives become linked in ever more surprising ways.
To download a file to your computer right-click on the link and choose 'save file as'
High Resolution Images
Book Cover Image (jpg): Little Beauties
eBook 9780743274562(1.2 MB)
Author Photo (jpg): Kim Addonizio
Photo Credit:(0.1 MB)
Any use of an author photo must include its respective photo credit
Reading Group Guide
Little Beauties: A Novel
By Kim Addonizio
- "My mother made me understand that everything was subordinate to my beauty." What role does Diana McBride's past life as the star of child beauty pageants play in her current predicament as an obsessive-compulsive woman with low self-esteem?
- The friendships that arise between Diana, Jamie, and Anthony seem unconventional in many respects. Do these connections seem dependent primarily on random coincidence, or can they be traced in some larger sense to each character's individual destiny?
- Over the course of Little Beauties, how does the theme of mothering get developed and expanded upon in the relationships between Diana and Gloria, Jamie and Mary, Jamie and Stella, Diana and Jamie, and Diana and Stella?
- "I am definitely not keeping the baby." How does Jamie Ramirez reconcile her hopes and dreams as a seventeen-year-old girl with the reality of her pregnancy and unborn child? What do you think explains her sudden change of heart with respect to keeping Stella?
- How do Diana's "rules" and "homework" serve to frame her obsessive-compulsive disorder? What role do these guidelines play in the larger structure of the novel?
- "It's all about loss, this place. It's all about pain, and maybe you don't, after all, want to feel t