Milo: Sticky Notes and Brain Freeze by Alan SilberbergA Discussion Guide Discussion Questions
1. Does your name grant you membership in the Cool Name Club? What does it mean, and who gave it to you? Do you think Milo is right that your name either sets you up for being popular or being considered a social outcast?
2. Milo talks about his dad being a “pod person” or having a “Dad” costume that he puts on for others and takes off when it’s just family. Do you know anyone who behaves very differently around different people? Why do you think people sometimes do that?
3. Nobody in Milo’s family knows how to cope with the loss of their mom/wife, and it takes years for Milo to get to a point where he can talk about it. Are there some topics that you can’t bear to talk about? Are there certain people you can talk to when you are hurting or feel sad, or are there other ways you express your feelings?
4. Despite his initial reluctance, Milo finds himself coming to trust and learn from both Hillary Alpert and Sylvia Poole. He can even pinpoint the moments when his first impressions proved incomplete or inaccurate. Have you ever formed a mistaken first impression of somebody that you later became friends with? What made you take a second look at that person?
5. As the story progresses, Milo, Marshall, and Hillary become better friends. What do you thin