Questions for Discussion
1. How would you describe Divine at the beginning of the book? What details most clearly reveal her character?
2. Divine and Jerome have a complex relationship. Describe the different feelings Divine has toward her father at different points in the story.
3. After she has been in Temple for a while, even Divine notices that she is changing. "I'm not the same girl that left Pacific Palisades back in March. Thankfully, I'm still cute. Some things just never change." In what ways has Divine's personality altered and in what ways is she exactly the same?
4. Why do you think Divine is initially reluctant to sing in front of the church? Why does singing ultimately become so important to her?
5. Compare Reed and Phoebe's parenting style to Kara and Jerome's. What differences do you observe? Do you see any similarities?
6. After she is sentenced to eight months in rehab, Kara tells Divine, "I committed a crime...and I have to pay for it." While Kara seems to understand that her actions have consequences, learning this lesson is difficult for Divine. Describe a few of the episodes in which Divine struggles with taking responsibility for what she does. Does she ever learn this lesson?
7. What factors led to Divine joining the church? How does this decision affect her and those around her? Were you surprised by her choice?
8. Describe Divine and Alyssa's relationship. How does it change as the story progr