What She Left Behind
Sara and her mom have a plan to finally escape Sara’s abusive father. But when her mom doesn’t show up as expected, Sara’s terrified. Her father says that she’s on a business trip, but Sara knows he’s lying. Her mom is missing—and her dad had something to do with it.
With each day that passes, Sara’s more on edge. Her friends know that something’s wrong, but she won’t endanger anyone else with her secret. And with her dad growing increasingly violent, Sara must figure out what happened to her mom before it’s too late…for them both.
Read an Excerpt
I sometimes have this dream that I’m drowning in a giant bowl of oatmeal. That’s how I feel when I’m at home. When I’m at school, it’s different. I hang out with Zach, sneak Ritz Bits crackers during class, and read horror novels in history. I like horror because it puts things in perspective. I mean, at least I’m not being chased by killer bees and no one’s trying to hack off my arm.
First period is band. Right now it’s marching season, which sucks because it’s all about football. I hate football. Usually I...see more
Get our latest book recommendations, author news and sweepstakes right to your inbox
To download a file to your computer right-click on the link and choose 'save file as'
High Resolution Images
- Book Cover Image (jpg): What She Left Behind
Trade Paperback 9781442439511(2.2 MB)
- Author Photo (jpg): Tracy Bilen
Photo credit Angela Bilen.(0.1 MB)
Any use of an author photo must include its respective photo credit
Reading Group Guide
What She Left Behind
by Tracy Bilen
1. Why doesn't Sara tell anyone except Zach her suspicions about her mom? Is there anyone else she could have or should have told? Would you have told someone else, if you were in her situation? Why or why not?
2. Alex starts showing an interest in Sara right around when her mom goes missing. In what ways is her growing relationship with him good for her during this time, and how is it bad? Why didn't Sara tell Alex about her mom?
3. For English class Sara writes a lot about her family. What do you learn about them and about her from these essays?
4. Sara and her mom watch a TV soap opera, Winds of Change. How is the main character, Julia, like Sara's mother?
5. What has made Sara's dad so violent and crazy? What was he like back when the family lived in Philadelphia?
6. Early on, Sara says she is mad at her brother Matt for killing himself. Why do you think she is mad at him? Do you think that is a fair response for her to have?
7. At one point, after Sara's mom has been missing for many days, Sara thinks “I want to go home,” even though she's actually in her house. Why doesn't it feel like home to her now? What does home mean to you?
8. Were you surprised by the ending? Did anything in the story lead you to expect this outcome?
9. In the end, Sara says she still loves her dad see more