Where Are You Now?
Mary Higgins Clark
Questions and Topics for Discussion
1. Carolyn has a dream about Mack, “following a shadowy figure who was walking across a bridge. . . . I heard him calling me, his voice mournful and troubled. Carolyn, stay back, stay back
.” (6) What do you think this dream means? Why must Carolyn “stay back?” What does the bridge symbolize?
2. What role does media exposure play in Mack and Leesey’s cases? Does the media help or hinder the investigation? The killer freely admits, “I like the headlines.” (111) Why does he crave media attention? What steps does he take to keep Leesey and Mack in the headlines?
3. Aaron Klein observes, “Elliott can’t mention Olivia MacKenzie’s name without getting stars in his eyes.” (56) Do you think Elliott genuinely loves Olivia, or is his affection another part of his false identity? Explain your answer.
4. Carolyn confides in Nick about her mother, “Mack was always her favorite. He did everything right. I’m too impulsive for Mom’s taste.” (194) Do you think Carolyn is right about her mother’s preference? How does this belief fuel her determination to find Mack?
5. Chapter 21 reveals the mind of the serial killer for the first time. What does the murderer’s perspective add to the novel?
6. Carolyn carefully chooses her outfit